Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve Manicures

2011 is approaching, so I decided to do a manicure inspired by New Year's Eve night. I don't know why, but I decided the colors that would represent the last night of 2010 would be silver and blurple (blue-purple).

I had a bajillion designs that I tried out, but I eventually narrowed it down to two choices. But I just couldn't choose between the last two designs, so I did one design on each hand.

The first one, which is on my left hand, is inspired by the traditional ball drop at midnight on New Year's Eve, which brings in the New Year. This is actually my first frankenpolish :D! I combined a blackish blurple, representing the darkness of midnight, and a REALLY shimmery silver, representing the ball, confetti, and just celebration in general. The blurple and silver were generally combined in a 3:2 ratio.The blurple that I used was NYC In a New York Color Minute Chinatown, and the silver that I used was Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Celeb City. The application was pretty bad because of *technical difficulties*, which I will talk about later.


So here is the New Year's Eve Midnight manicure:

NYE Midnight, indoor, natural light

NYE Midnight, outdoor, shade

NYE Midnight, outdoor, shade

NYE Midnight, outdoor, partial shade

The first picture is the most accurate color-wise. I did two coats of Chinatown and then one coat of the frankenpolish. The franken, as you can tell from the pictures, turned out to be a silver-purple, with the purple sort of peeking out from the almost-overpowering silver. I think the franken turned out really well, almost exactly what I wanted.

What I love about both manicures I did was that they both *came alive* in the sun. Seriously, when I went outside and looked at my nails, I was like WHOA!! SPARKLY AWESOMENESS!!! It was awesome. The full awesomeness was hard to capture with my camera, so I tried my best:

NYE Midnight, outdoor, sun


NYE Midnight, outdoor, sun

NYE Midnight, outdoor, sun

You can't really tell from the pictures, but in the sun, the frankenpolish just EXPLODES with silver sparkles, it's SO awesome!

Like I said before, the application was difficult, but before I talk about the main *technical difficulty* I had with this manicure, I have to rant about Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polishes. To say it simply, they SUCK. SERIOUSLY. I have bought quite a few of them in the past because they have a lot of cool colors, but I seriously need to stop buying them! Half of the ones that I bought because thick, goopy, and gross after only one use! It's ridiculous!! I was SO pissed when I first found this out, and I am still disappointed in the quality of these polishes. It's wierd, because only the Xtreme Wear polishes do this, not my other Sally Hansen nail polishes. The Celeb City polish that I used was one of the Xtreme Wear polishes that became all gross after I barely used it; I only used it because I really wanted to use that super shimmery silver color. So that was part of the problem with the application. The other was the I made my frankenpolish in a disposable styrofoam bowl. Little did I know, nail polish somehow dissolves styrofoam. Something about heavy ketones, aromatic solvents, and polymer fibers, I don't know. So anyways while I was making the frankenpolish, I noticed the polish becoming really thick (I'm guessing because of the dissolved styrofoam?? Eww...) but at the time, I just thought it was the crappy Sally Hansen polish. Halfway through painting the nails on my left hand, I noticed the nail polish eating through the styrofoam and I TOTALLY freaked out! So I started painting my nails really fast, trying to finish before the nail polish ate a hole through the bowl and I guess my rushed painting plus the thickness of the polish equals a crappy manicure. Ehh I guess it's ok since the color turned out pretty good :)

So moving on...
The second design, which is on my right hand, was inspired by all of the partying happening on New Year's Eve. *Note: this was not a franken*. I used silver as a base color to represent celebration in general and then I used a dark blurple glitter over it to represent confetti and parties. I used Celeb City again for the silver (I know it was all gross, but I just REALLY wanted to use the color!) and then I used Fingerpaints Easel-y Entertained for the blurple glitter. The application was better for this manicure, as I did not have the same problems as the Midnight manicure.

So here is the New Year's Eve Party manicure:


NYE Party, indoor, natural light
\
NYE Party, indoor, natural light
I realize this second picture is really blurry, but this is the only picture where the color is almost accurate.


NYE Party, outdoor, shade

Again, this manicure also *comes alive* in the sun:


NYE Party, outdoor, sun

NYE Party, outdoor, sun

NYE Party, outdoor, sun

This one is SO sparkly and glittery and amazing in the sun! That's why I took so many pictures, haha :D!
Generally, though, the pictures made this manicure look brighter and more blue. It's actually darker and a little more purple. This design was less complicated than the Midnight manicure. Just two coats of Celeb City and then two coats of Easel-y Entertained.

Easel-y Entertained was a disappointment, actually. This was the first time that I used it, and the outcome was very different than what I expected. In the bottle, Easel-y Entertained looks like a concentrated black-blurple glitter. On the nail, Easel-y Entertained was actually a blue-tinted clear with blurple glitter. I thought it would look cooler than it actually is. Oh well, I still like it.

Here are the nail polishes that I used in my two New Year's Eve manicures:


From left: Finger Paints Easel-y Entertained, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Celeb City, NYC In a New York Color Minute Chinatown

Which New Year's Eve design did you like better? Do you have anything exciting planned for New Year's?

NYC In a New York Color Minute nail polishes are available for about $2 at drugstores.
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polishes are available for about $3 at drugstores.
Finger Paints nail polishes are available for about $5 at Sally Beauty Supply.


Also, a little shout out to one of my best friends whose birthday is today! Happy birthday LD!! Hope this year brings you great things! Love you! :D


Little thing to smile for today: 2011!!
<3 Ruthe

0 comments:

Post a Comment