Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Monday, January 17, 2011

e.l.f. Products Review

Today I decided that my new e.l.f. products (from this haul) have been just sitting in their box for a little too long. So I decided to try out the Mineral Booster and two of the brushes.

First up is the Mineral Booster, which I got in Sheer and in the large size:


e.l.f. Mineral Booster with packaging

e.l.f. Mineral Booster open

To start off, the Mineral Booster had this absolutely heinous sticker on top of the holes (as all loose powders do) that was RIDICULOUSLY hard to get off! I freakin CHIPPED my nail polish trying to get it off!! I finally gave up and started picking at it with my tweezers until it finally gave. And even then it was really hard to peel off. Ridiculous.

e.l.f. Mineral Booster with its ridiculously stupid sticker

Now about the actual product: to put it simply, IT. SUCKS. MAJORLY! I probably put on seven or eight layers of this stuff before getting a tiny itty bit of coverage. I was like seriously?? SERIOUSLY?!? By that point, my dry skin was even dryer and starting to flake: GROSS! Pretty obviously, I took it off in frustration about then. The *coverage* I got with the Mineral Booster was even LESS than the coverage I get with one layer of my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder. Which, may I mention, costs less than this container of crap (not that the Mineral Booster was even close to being expensive). I realize this thing is supposed to be sheer, but not INVISIBLE! The e.l.f. website claims the following about the Mineral Booster:

Our Mineral Booster melts into your skin, infusing it with key vitamins A, B and E to promote healthier skin that’s noticeably silkier and smoother...[The Mineral Booster] gently absorbs oil and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and pores for a beautiful even finish.

Didn't do ANY of that. Nada.
Unless *melts into your skin* means *not show up at all*.
And I don't know about the absorbing oil part because I obviously didn't keep it on long enough to tell.
So pissed right now just thinking about it...


Next is the Mineral Powder Brush:


e.l.f. Powder Brush from the Minerals Collection

The brustles of this brush feels SO soft on my hands as well as on my face, but that's about the only good thing about it. It doesn't blend well, distribute powder well, or do anything else that a powder brush should do. Most of the product also disappeared into the bristles. It's hard describing how it feels while using it on my face...the closest word I can use to describe it is *floppy*. Like the bristles just sort of flop around, not blending or doing anything other than feeling soft. What works WAY better is the Powder Brush from the Studio collection, which I use every day and absolutely LOVE!! The Mineral Powder Brush is really just useless. I really hope that it isn't this way with all the brushes from the Minerals collection...


Last is the Stipple Brush:


e.l.f. Stipple Brush from the Studio Collection

I put the brush on a partially white background so both the white and black bristles are visible.

Getting straight to the point, this brush sucked as well. Notice how I didn't write *last but not least* above. The bristles are sparse and poky, and it took FOREVER blending with this thing. And I only tried it out on a small part of my face, so I don't even want to know how long it takes to blend foundation over my whole face.


Obviously, I am REALLY disappointed with all the products I tried out today. I had pretty high expectations for Mineral and Studio e.l.f. brushes based on previous purchases, but I guess not all of them are that great. So disappointing.


Have you been disappointed by e.l.f. products before?

e.l.f. products are available online at www.elfcosmetics.com and at select Target stores.


Smile for not wasting your money of these e.l.f. products like I did.
<3 Ruthe

*EDIT*: Tammy suggested in the comments below that the Mineral Booster is probably meant to be used as a finishing powder; well I took her advice and tried it as a finishing powder and it actually works pretty well. I also use it sometimes when I need to touch up my make-up in the afternoon. Thanks to Tammy for encouraging me for use this product differently! :D

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you started a blog and didn't tell me?! This is so great, but if you told me I would've followed earlier! Anyway, I think the Mineral Booster sounds more like a finishing powder than one that provides coverage. Maybe you should try their Mineral Foundation? As for good brushes for mineral makeup, EcoTools Mineral Brush Set (http://www.parispresents.com/EcoTools_BAMBOO_5pc_Brush_Set_p/et1213.htm)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tammy
    Thanks Tammy, I'm glad you like it! :D I wanted to get a bunch of posts up before telling people; sorry for not telling you sooner :(. I checked out the EcoTools brushes; they look pretty good, and I know from your posts that you like them. I might try these out the next time I want to get new brushes. Also, I think you're right about the Mineral Booster, I didn't really think about it being a finishing powder. Thanks for the input! :D

    ReplyDelete