Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Just Think

Ever since Earth Day last Friday, I've become very conscious about keeping the Earth green and healthy. We humans, especially here in America, consume SO much; therefore, we also create A LOT of waste! The bad thing is, a lot of us aren't aware that what we consume drastically affects the Earth.

A lot of companies cut down rainforests in order to use that land for producing products at a lower cost. Did you know that 4,000 football-fields-worth of rainforest is cut down every hour? Did you know that because of deforestation, 137 species of animals, plants, and insects are lost per day? That totals up to about 50,000 species lost per year! I can just go on and on about rainforests, seeing as I just finished researching them for an assignment, but I'll just stop here. For more shocking and interesting facts, please visit this website.

Instead of making you read a super super long rant, I'll end this rant here with this note: please please PLEASE be conscious of what you buy and use. And keep these tips in mind:
  • If you don't need it, don't buy it. I know it's hard, especially for makeup lovers, but just think before you buy. This is obviously hard for me, the shopaholic (hello, nail polish!), but I'm slowly trying to buy less things.
  • Buy environmentally friendly products.These include organic products, local products (VERY important! Buy local when you can!), products without wasteful packaging, recyclable products, and products with the FSC image (below).
  • Recycle and reuse as often as you can. Before throwing it away, think about whether or not you're going to use it again or if it can be reused somehow (donating is a great way to get rid of old stuff!).
  • Check if the town you live in lets you throw food scraps in the yard debris bin (my town does!). By sending your food scraps to be composted instead of landfilled, you are preserving landfill space, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and allowing nutrients to return to the soil.

And please, if you get the time, I urge you to watch this video to find out how wasteful we really are:






Little thing to smile for today: taking care of our Earth :)
<3 Ruthe

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthe!

    I totally agree with how wasteful we all are. I recently went to this Water Exhibition. It wasn't just about how we are so careless with wasting water, but it was also about how we treat the freshwater on Earth, such as building all these dams, etc. It made me feel bad, but at the same time, it really opened my eyes!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SwatchAndLearn
    Hey Fiona!

    I'm glad someone else is aware of the problem :). That's really terrible, about how people are so careless about using water. People need to realize that the Earth has limited resources and if we don't do something soon, we'll use it all up very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete