Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Loreal Yellow Seahorse

Being Asian myself, I've never really related yellow things or objects to the Asian stereotype of being *yellow* (did that make any sense at all??), until I tried Loreal Yellow Seahorse. Should Asians avoid yellow because it clashes with their skin tone, or should they embrace it because it complements their skin tone?? I've never really known the rules/concepts about flattering certain skin tones/undertones, but now I know that school-bus yellow is definitely not for me:








*Shudder*. I'm ashamed to put these photos up...
The last picture is in the shade to show the jelly-ish-ness of this polish and the microflakies that you can't see in the other pictures (look near the bottom side of the bottle).

Loreal Yellow Seahorse is a bright school bus yellow with lots of subtle microflakies. You really can't see the microflakies unless you look closely in the right light. Obviously, my camera didn't pick up on them at all. This color, in my opinion, is quite hideous. I don't know why I thought it was cute and summery when I bought it, but it looks terrible on me. Like all Loreal polishes that I've tried, Yellow Seahorse went on really smoothly, but unlike those other Loreal polishes, this polish needed four coats to become adequately opaque. FOUR. And that's WITH VNL. I'm still interested in yellow nail polishes, but Yellow Seahorse has majorly discouraged me. Every time I look at my nails I cringe a bit inside. Ughh...


Little thing to smile for today: summer dresses and shopping! (can you guess what I did today? ;P)
<3 Ruthe

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ruthe!

    Wow, you didn't like that yellow, but I think it looks great on you. Asians can definitely pull off school-bus yellows. I'm Asian, and I've worn bright yellows and loved it!

    But if this isn't for you, maybe you should try something like a pastel yellow so it's softer. Then, work your way up to a neon yellow! Hahaha! :)
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color on you, but 4 coats to get it opaque is unacceptable! Most yellow nail polishes are tough to work with. I really like China Glaze Solar Power; it's opaque and not a streaky mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SwatchAndLearn
    Thanks Mary! I thought this yellow looked pretty ugly (obviously) but maybe I'm just not used to wearing yellows...I do want to try softer yellows though. That's a good idea, working up to a bright yellow lol; maybe I'll try this yellow again in...oh, 2 years?? Lol or I can work my way up to that neon yellow Essie you have, haha!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tammy
    Thanks Tammy! I know, isn't four coats ridiculous?!? I've heard so much about disappointing yellow polishes; they're too thick, too thin, streaky, etc. It's not exactly surprising that China Glaze would make a good yellow since it seems that most China Glaze polishes are generally pretty great in terms of formula. Of course, you would know more than me since you've had much more experience with China Glazes, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmmmmmm, Ruthe! What are you talking about? I think this looks absolutely gorgeous on you! OMG, when I first saw the swatches, I was like, "Holy smokes!"

    This post has me rethinking my stance on yellow nail polishes. I'm Asian, too, and I always thought I can't pull it off, either. But this is so pretty on you!!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. @SwatchAndLearn
    Lol thanks Fiona :D! You should definitely try yellow nail polishes! I think they would look pretty darn great on you (since every color I've seen on you does, haha :P)! I'm still a bit iffy about yellow polishes, but I'm definitely going to experiment some more! :)

    ReplyDelete