Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pirate Nails!

I've been doing more outdoor painting, so my red mani got pretty scratched up. Fortunately, inspiration whacked me in the head and I turned my beat up red nails into some cute pirate nails! Check it:







As always, click to enlarge :).

Now that I think about it, pirates would probably have some pretty nasty nails. I mean, they have to live and work on a ship without washing their hands often or taking a bath every day, much less using hand lotion or cuticle oil! Obviously, I wasn't exactly thinking of that when I did my nails, but it's just a random thought...

I already had a no-name mystery Maybelline red on for the base; then I used tape and 10 Professional Nail Lacquer The Little Black Dress to do the black stripes. After, I used a nail art brush and Loreal French Tip White to draw the skulls and crossbones. Finally, I used a dotting tool and The Little Black Dress again to do the eyes and then put on a top coat.

Unfortunately, I didn't wait long enough for the eyes to dry on some of the nails before putting on the top coat, so you can see eye-smudges on some of the skulls (the skull on my right thumb looks like it's crying!). And in retrospect, I should have gone over the white again so it was more opaque. I thought about doing it, I started to do it, but then I got lazy and didn't do it :P. This was the first time I tried using tape for stripes, and I like the outcome, even though I need to work on getting the tape to stick better on the sides of my nails; the sides ended up really messy!

I am pretty pleased with the end result of my Pirate nails! Though I'm afraid people might think that they're more punk-goth-tween-girl-y rather than pirate-y. Ugh. I hope not.


Little thing to smile for today: random nail art designs!! :D
<3 Ruthe

(P.S. Do you think I should be more detailed when describing the nail art steps? Would it be more helpful if I explained the steps like a tutorial?)

4 comments:

  1. Arrrrr! I love this pirate manicure more than ye bottle o' rum! :P

    This is such a cool design, and I love the colours you chose for the stripes in the background. One day, I'll have to try this!
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SwatchAndLearn
    Thanks so much, Mary! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your version of Pirate nails! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahah! This is too cute. It put the biggest smile on my face! I love it.

    Good job, Ruthe. I'm glad your using your painting talents on your nails!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SwatchAndLearn
    Aww thanks Fiona!! Your comments always make me feel all good inside :D. Though I think I was using more of my dabbing skills than my painting talents, lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete