Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in Fractured Foil

I know crackle is the *NOW* trend, but I've actually realized that I really don't like it. I think I was initially interested in crackle polishes because they were so different than anything I'd ever seen (when the Covergirl Crackle Lacquers were all the rage in 2000, I was too young to be following nail polish trends, lol). Unfortunately after buying all my crackles and only using them only once or twice (or some, not at all), I've realized that crackle isn't for me. Whenever I have crackle on, I always think my nails look like 1) they have old, dried, scratched paint on them, 2) my polish is chipping off, or 3) I scratched a wall after doing my nails. For some reason, I still like seeing crackle on blogs (they just look so much better on the computer screen :P) but in real life, crackle polishes just annoy me. Obviously, I'm not going to attack anyone with crackle nail polish on, lol, I'm just not going to wear crackles that often if at all. I'll probably only wear them in the future to hide chipped nails, which brings us FINALLY to the point of this post; my Hot Tamale mani was starting to chip after wearing it for a few days, so I thought I would hide it by putting a crackle polish over it:





Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in Fractured Foil is a silver crackle. To get it at least opaque-ish, you have to do really thick coats. I actually dipped the brush into the bottle twice for each nail; you can still see the thinner areas where the coat wasn't thick enough. I'm not sure if all Sally Hansen crackles are as thin as Fractured Foil (I only got one, thankfully) or if the sheerness is due to the fact that it's a shimmer crackle polish.

Compared to my China Glaze crackles, this Sally Hansen crackle was really disappointing . Not only was the Sally Hansen crackle more expensive than the China Glaze crackles, it doesn't *crack* as well (look how well the China Glaze crackle really separated, even when applied badly). When I first swatched Fractured Foil after getting it, it separated really inadequately (sort of like on the pinky nail) and I applied the polish normally instead of super-thickly so the silver wasn't obvious. Even now, after I got the application down (for the most part), the Sally Hansen crackle still doesn't separate that well or look that cool.

In my opinion, skip the Sally Hansen crackles. They really, really aren't worth the high price tag, especially when you can get a China Glaze crackle for less and even get an OPI Shatter for just a few dollars more. Or you can just skip crackle polishes all together. That's what I'm gonna do.

And in the meantime, I'm going to get the nail polish remover...


Little thing to smile for today: picking a new nail color :)
<3 Ruthe

2 comments:

  1. I like seeing crackle on other people, but I still can't get into it myself.

    It's disappointing that this doesn't turn out well, especially since you pay $$! But I love how you can turn a negative into a positive. It gives you reason to choose and paint on a new color! :P

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SwatchAndLearn
    Crackle just seems to look better on others right? ;)

    This crackle did tick me off a little, but you're right; I love what's on my nails now! :D You always see the positive side of things, Fiona! :D

    ReplyDelete