Greeting

“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.”

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sephora by OPI Caribbean Cocktail

I needed something blue. Something sparkly. Something glorious. Enter, Sephora by OPI Caribbean Cocktail:


Sephora by OPI Caribbean Cocktail is a bright medium blue packed with blue and silver shimmer, giving it an awesome foil finish. The color turned out more aqua on the nail than in the bottle; I'm not complaining, but I know some people may not like this. In real life, the bottle color isn't as aqua; it's cooler, almost like a sky blue. Nevertheless, I am in LURVE with this color!! I'm absolutely obsessed with it! This polish went on smooth and easy. I did two coats, but I did each coat super thick to avoid bald spots. Obviously, thick coats didn't work out that great (ignore the messed up middle finger), so I would definitely recommend doing three, thinner coats. And probably as a result of the thick coats, my nails started chipping on the first day. *Cry*.

As much as I love this color, I'm not a big fan of Sephora by OPI polishes (commonly called $OPI because they cost more than normal OPI polishes). The first problem I have with $OPI is the brush. It's long and skinny and doesn't spread the polish well. With Caribbean Cocktail, I think the brush was the main cause of bald spots. I've heard that normal OPI brushes/caps fit into $OPI bottles, so I guess that can solve the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have spare OPI brushes at the moment :(. The second problem is that, as I mentioned before, $OPI polishes cost more than normal OPI polishes. In my opinion, there is nothing special about $OPI polishes that earns them the right to a higher price tag. Of course, there's a bunch of gorgeous colors, but normal OPI polishes have a super wide range of colors as well. The $OPI formula isn't significantly better (if at all), and the brush is actually worse. I realize that the higher price tag is due to business/profits between Sephora and OPI, but still. I try not to buy $OPI polishes that often, unless I encounter an irresistable color. Like Caribbean Cocktail ;).


Little thing to smile for today: bright blue flashy nails!! :D
<3 Ruthe

6 comments:

  1. OMG. I love it, and not just because it's a blue nail polish, but because it's a GORGEOUS blue nail polish!

    I totally know what you mean by avoiding Sephora by OPI polishes: they seem unnecessarily expensive! And I made the mistake of buying their top and base coats a while back. I just want to throw them out! The cap detaches from the brush all too often, and the top coat never, ever, ever, ever, EVER dries. Both are goopy and a waste of time!

    ~end rant~

    Fiona :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SwatchAndLearn
    Thanks Fiona! Blue fanatics unite! ;)

    I am SO glad to know that someone else doesn't like these polishes! It totally sucks that the top and base coats are so horrible; rant all you like about them! I'm surprised that Sephora/OPI haven't caught on to everything polish fanatics dislike about $OPI polishes. Like, seriously. Always glad to hear your opinion, Fiona! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a spectacular color. Sorry that the formula really sucked. I'd be pissed off if a polish chipped that quickly!

    I also dislike how Sephora by OPI polishes are more expensive than regular OPI polishes, but the formula doesn't seem all that different.

    I've tried 2 Sephora by OPI polishes: Metro Chic and Caught With My Khakis Down. They applied amazingly well, didn't chip for about a week, and they were opaque in just a couple of coats. I was actually really impressed with them. Maybe it's because of the finish, which were both cremes.

    I'm hesitant to try new colors from them because I've heard other people complain about the formula. So usually I just wait for unique colours before I get them.
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SwatchAndLearn
    Thanks Mary! I was pretty pissed that this chipped so fast :(.

    Metro Chic and Caught With My Khakis Down were both really unique colors! I haven't tried any Sephora by OPI cremes yet. I'd like to, but like you, I'm hesitant to buy more Sephora by OPI polishes unless they're really unique. You're right; the formula really isn't that different from regular OPI polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ruthe

    Did you try switching the base and/or top coat you used with it? I find that sometimes certain polishes don't play well with others. Hmm...just trying to help you find a happy solution so it won't chip as quickly.
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. @SwatchAndLearn
    I actually never really thought about that. I always use Seche Vite for the top coat, but base coats, I use randomly. Maybe I should mess around with that, thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete